The C-17 is a heavy transport aircraft with a maximum payload of 77000 kg. Besides Short Take-Off and Landing capability, the C-17 can also operate from unpaved runways.
If the deal is concluded, the contract provides Kuwait with:
- 1 Boeing C-17 transport aircraft
- 4 F117-PW-100 turbofan engines
- 1 AN/AAR-47 Missile Approach Warning System
- 1 AN/ALE-47 Countermeasure Dispenser Set (CMDS)
- secure radios
- precision navigation equipment
- spare and repair parts
- support and test equipment
- publications and technical documentation
- tactics manuals
- personnel training and training equipment
- US Government and contractor engineering
- aircraft ferry support
- aircraft fuel
- technical and logistics support services
- logistical and program support
Besides Kuwait, the C-17 is already in service with 6 countries. They are Australia, Canada, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom and the United States.
The C-17 is also in service with NATO. India has ordered 10 C-17 aircraft in 2011. The first aircraft is currently conducting flight tests and is scheduled to be delivered sometime in 2013.