- The French military has 328,869 active personnel. The army makes up the largest proportion at 137,248 or about 41.7 percent.
- A total of 18,800 military personnel were stationed outside of France in various parts of the world.
- 7299 armored vehicles
- 391 helicopters
- 273 combat aircraft
- 246 surface-to-air weapon systems
- 75 combat and other support ships
In 2012, the top seven defense contractors in France and their total revenue (including non-military revenue) were:
- Safran at €13.56 billion or $17.66 billion provides navigation systems, optronics, software for submarines, ships, aircraft and soldiers.
- Thales at €14.16 billion or $18.45 billion provides radar systems, secure communications, unmanned aerial vehicles, drones, electronic missile systems.
- Dassault Aviation at €3.94 billion or $5.13 billion provides fighter aircraft such as the Rafale and the Mirage
- EADS at €56.48 billion or $73.58 billion provides NH90 transport and naval helicopters, Tiger attack helicopters, Airbus A400M transport aircraft, Harfang drones, Astrium anti-missile defense systems and other missile systems in cooperation with MBDA
- Nexter at €0.74 billion or $0.96 billion provides Leclerc main battle tanks, VBCI armored vehicles, Caesar wheeled self-propelled guns, Aravis tanks and various munitions.
- DCNS at €2.60 billion or $3.39 billion provides conventional and nuclear-powered submarines, Fremm multi-role frigates, Mistral Landing Platform Helicopter.
- MBDA at €3.0 billion or $3.91 billion provides Meteor ramjet-powered air-to-air missiles, Storm shadow / Scalp cruise missile, Aster surface-to-air missiles, Milan anti-tank missiles.