The San Antonio class is designed to support amphibious assaults, special operations and expeditionary warfare missions. It will replace more than 41 ships currently in service, including the Austin class, Anchorage class, Charleston class and Newport class.
The 684 ft long ship is powered by 4 Colt-Pielstick 2.5 STC diesel engines to give it a speed of 22 kn. It can carry 800 people and has a displacement of 24900 tons. It can transport conventional or air cushion landing craft, helicopters and the Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft.
The Arlington has been equipped with:
- the AN/SLQ-25A Nixie towed decoy system
- the mk53 Nulka decoy launching system
- the AN/SPS-48E three-dimensional air search radar
- the AN/APQ-9B surface surveillance and tracking radar
- the AN/SPS-64(V)9 navigation radar
- two Norden Systems AN/SPS-73 surface search radars
- two mk31 mod 0 Raytheon RAM launchers
- two mk46 mod 2 30mm guns for close-in self-defense
- two mk26 mod 18 50-calibre machine guns
By U.S. Navy photo by Mass Communication Specialist 2nd Class Cayman Santoro [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons