The Su-30MKI is a two-seat, supersonic, multi-role fighter aircraft for day and night operations in all weather conditions. The aircraft is fitted with Russian AL-31FP engines and advanced avionics from Russian, Western and indigenous sources.
The license building of SU-30MKI aircraft has enabled HAL to acquire new aircraft manufacturing techniques like machining, forming, welding, assembly, testing and aircraft system checks, while creating hundreds of jobs locally.
Over 157 vendors in India provide 13350 components to the Su-30MKI project, while HAL itself manufactures 19450 components. The work is divided as follow:
- aircraft airframes are made at Nasik
- engines are assembled Koraput
- aircraft communication and navigation accessories at Hyderabad
- hydraulic, pneumatic and fuel aggregates and instruments at Lucknow
- avionic displays and INGPS at Korwa
- overhauling and repairs of Su-30 MKI at Nasik