This contract was preceded by a first batch of 3 similar frigates consisting of the INS Talwar, INS Trishul and INS Tabar. The Talwar class is based on the Krivak III class frigate.
The Indian Navy received its predecessor, INS Teq, on April 27. The third, the Trikand, is currently undergoing trials in the Baltic Sea and will be delivered to India in the summer of 2013.
This Talwar class is equipped with:
- eight supersonic Brahmos (second batch) or Klub (first batch) anti-ship cruise missiles
- a 100 mm A-190 dual purpose gun
- the Shtil-1 air defense system with 24 surface-to-air missiles
- two Kashtan Close-In Weapon Systems (first batch) or AK-630 (second batch)
- two dual 533 mm torpedo launchers
- a single Ka-28 anti-submarine warfare helicopter